Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Need for Inner Peace, Viewing it Through a Christian Lens, Safety Tip of the Week, and Yo, Adrienne, I did It!

It's great to hear from you! And yeah, it's crazy that I've been out for six months. It's gone by super fast. It's been a busy six months and I've had some good times, some crazy experiences, and I've learned a lot. 

So yeah, I'm back up here in Layton now. I'm actually serving in the stake that's bordering my last area, and I'm living in an apartment across the street from my old apartment. It's good to be back up here in Layton and see how things have progressed in my old area since I left. It's a little bit of deja vu, but it's cool, though. Layton's a good area, and I'm excited to be back up here. There's a lot of good people up here and there's good work. I had an interesting conversation with a guy we're working with up here that wants his son to get baptized, even though he himself isn't christian. The  was brought up in the Asian culture, and is into martial arts, and meditation, and all that. his apartment is full of swords and Buddha statues and other Asian decor. The conversation I had with him was just about how he doesn't believe in God and all that, but has respect for our religion as long as we respect his beliefs. For me, that's like preaching to the choir. He's a really spiritual guy, he just believes in meditation and karma and all that. I told him that I have similar beliefs about the need for inner peace and finding that balance in life, and I'm into relaxation and meditating and stuff like that, just for me, I view it through a christian lens. It just shows that just about every religion or philosophy out there has pieces of truth in it, just not the fullness of it, and it's often missing that vital piece, which revolves around the love and Atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ. 

So my companion is this guy named Elder {}. He's from Indonesia, and he goes home the end of this transfer. He's also the district leader, and he's a really cool guy. He speaks English almost perfectly. Turns out that Indonesia is pretty westernized, especially in the big cities on the island of Java, where he's from.  I'm pretty excited to be with this elder not only because we like the same music, but because he truly understands his purpose and is an obedient, dedicated, diligent servant of the Lord that likes to laugh and have fun.

Safety tip of the week: when opening a new bottle of crushed red pepper flakes, after you take off the foil wrapper, make sure you put the shaker lid back on before you go shaking all over your ramen noodles. Otherwise, you're barely going to be able to finish it without using a half gallon of milk to wash it down. I will say, though, that it's great for your sinuses. 
That's all for this week. If you have any questions, hit me up. This work is absolutely amazing, and I know that Jesus loves us and he died for us, and that because of that, if we do our part, learn what we have to do and do it, and are willing to go the distance even if no one else has, and regain the eye of the tiger whenever we might lose it, we can live with him again and one day we'll be able to stand up and say, YO ADRIENNE! I DID IT!.

Love, Elder Lusk

No comments:

Post a Comment