Sunday, November 3, 2013

Repping the west side, fighter jets, new lifelong friends already and knowing you're been saved for such a time as this.

So I'm absolutely loving it up here in Layton. Once again I'm repping the west side, so the part of Layton I'm in isn't the super rich part. Even then, it's not ghetto by any means. It actually reminds me a little bit of Winchester, except there's no old downtown part. It's right next to Hill Air Force Base, so you can hear (and see, but mainly hear) fighter jets flying overhead all the time. Some people don't like it, but I think it's pretty cool. There's more trees up here in the northern part than there are in the Salt Lake valley, so it's looking pretty nice with right now being fall. There's also a lot of Utah State alumni up here, as opposed to SLC where everyone's Ute fan. We've got some pretty solid people we're working with and I'm totally pumped to be working up here. 

Elder {} is pretty cool. He's from  Minnesota and even if he hadn't told me, I would've guessed from his accent. I'm also really excited about the how the apartment played out because when I got there I put my stuff down, turned around, and got grabbed in a hug by a guy named Elder {}. Elder {} is from Fresno, California, and he came out the same time I did (we were in different MTC districts because he's Spanish speaking). We met each other on the UTA FrontRunner coming up to SLC from Provo. Thirty seconds into our conversation, we found out that we were both into{similar music} and were immediately best buds. The guy reminds me a little bit of Mike, but that's probably just because he's into the same bands and played for a  band before his mission. We were in the same district our first transfer, but we've never been in the same apartment until now. After our missions, we're planning on jamming together because he said he's probably going to BYU-I, but he's looked into USU and he's still thinking about it. Good stuff!

My last night in Glendale, we had dinner with a less-active Samoan couple that we had gotten pretty close with.[] , the guy, told me he's sure that there's people in Layton who are waiting for me and that I'm going there for them. I'm pretty sure he's right. My second night in Layton we visited a middle-age less-active  couple named {} and{}. I spent a while talking to {} and found out that she shares my passion for not only good 80s music, but also for sports and sports medicine, for cooking, and for dogs*. She grew up in LA and was raised playing basketball on the streets of Compton, so by her junior year of high school had been offered a bunch of Division 1 scholarships. She played D1 college ball and had the same Pre-style, do-or-die, losing-is-not-an-option, do-or-die mentality in sports. We talked for a while about crazy hard, long workouts we've done and that crazy mentality you get in during a competition, and we talked about performance enhancement, and sports medicine, and all that good stuff. I feel like she's someone that I've been prepared to help out. 

Like I said, I'm pretty excited to be serving here. This is a really good area. I know that this work is amazing and that God knows what he's doing, and that the power of the Atonement is real if we put our part in and let it work. 

Love, 

Elder Lusk :)

No comments:

Post a Comment