Monday, September 16, 2013

Firm as the Mountains Around Us!!

Hope everything is going well. things are going great here in SLC. We just got our transfer info for next transfer, which starts on Wednesday. Me and Elder Barker are staying together in Glendale, which I'm happy about because we're working with some solid people right now. 

 
Tongan update of the week: this week we had dinner with a big Tongan family and they cooked us a bunch of traditional Tongan food, which was absolutely delicious. We had curried chicken and veggies, sapa suey (some sort of noodles with chicken and veggies), taro, which is like really hard, thick Tongan potatoes that act like anabolic steroids apparently, and pork chops all served over rice with mango pineapple coconut O'tai and something called poli'popo (that's no doubt spelled wrong), which is like a Samoan pastry with coconut cream on top. Tongan food is amazing, and as usual, there's a ton of it. The very next day we went to lunch at a little hole-in-the-wall place called Pacific Seas that was a Tongan food place owned by a family of Tongans and had pretty much the exact same thing, not to mention it was a hook-up becuase they're tongan and we're missionaries. If I get a chance, after my mission I'm taking you guys there so you guys can try real tongan food and real O'tai. It's amazing,. 

I feel like all I do is talk about Tongans, but they're great and I love them and I never get tired of them or run out of Tongan stories. 

Anyways, It's really cool seeing how far everyone's progressing and the way the spirit's working in this area.  I'm really starting to love this area. The people are great, and the scenery is amazing if you look above the run-down houses and apartment buildings. The mountains are still amazing, and I never get tired of them. We got caught in a rainstorm the past two days, which is the first big rainstorm the valley's had since the beginning of July, and the worst part wasn't getting soaked and muddy, it was the fact that you couldn't see the mountains. It's always comforting having them right there to the east behind the downtown SLC skyline. It makes songs like "Carry On" with lines like "Firm as the mountains around us..." make so much sense.



I bear my testimony that the church is true and I love this work. love you all!



Elder Lusk.

No comments:

Post a Comment